Friday, February 27, 2009

#72T Darryl Hamilton



A bunch of interesting things on this card. Firstly, I love the bunting photo. Secondly, I love being able to see the bottoms of his sneakers. Thirdly, I love the shadow on the ground. Fourthly, I love the photo on the back, itself for 4 reasons: A) Hamilton's playful smile B) The 1960's Batman tilting of the photo C) the fact that both beer and cigarettes ads are visible and D) the strange object flying through the air on the top left. It is a flag? A bird? Who knows?

Let's go with "dazzling" as the best word.

Hamilton had a pretty nice career, although he was strictly a singles hitter, finishing with a career batting average of .291 but an OPS+ of just 95. In 1996, he batted .293 but had an OPS+ of only 81. That's incredible.

1 comment:

  1. Darryl was also the first-ever batter in an interleague game when his Giants played the Rangers on June 12, 1997. He singled, making him the first player to hit safely in an interleague game, as well. I have an Upper Deck card that told me these things.

    ReplyDelete